If I recall correctly, the older 2500s had 2 meg
shared memory onboard that was seperate then the
regular DRAM. The newer 2500's don't have the seperate
2meg shared memory and take the shared memory from the
DRAM installed.

16meg is the max amount of memory to put in the 2501.

I can't recall a issue where someone had trouble
getting a loaded 2500 image to come up with 16 meg
RAM. It's been awhile since I looked at the 2500 IOS
images and the requirements too. I'm guessing that
since th 2501 (and other 2500's) only take 16 meg
memory and the shared memory is taken from this, Cisco
is aware of this so I'm assuming there probably
wouldn't be any IOS images requiring more then 14 meg
at the most. I may be wrong! :)

--- Jason  wrote:
> On 2500, it's run from Flash whereas most of the
> others run from Ram...
>
> ""marcus jensen""  wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I have one 2501 with the full 16mb dram, but sho
> ver shows 14of mb/2mb.
> Total
> > is still 16, but 2mb is set aside and called
> shared memory portion. Will
> > this prevent an upgrade to a 16mb IOS. We all know
> the IOS is held in
> flash,
> > but it is copied into dram at bootup and run from
> there, so I wonder?
> >
> > As a side question, other 2500s routers of mine,
> some have their own
> > dedicated 2mb of this shared memory on board and
> some don't. I've opened
> up
> > the routers and you can see visually see which
> ones do and don't. The ones
> > with on board ram report full 16mb in show version
> not alluding to a 2mb
> > shared portion, because it is separate and on
> board I assume.
> >
> > Why did Cisco make this change? I would assume the
> ones with onboard are
> > considered newer, but the marking on the
> motherboard is 2 years older than
> > the one without on board memory. 2mb is minor, but
> does this make a
> > difference to anybody and would it affect ebay
> prices?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1