Tom,
The best way (abeit not the easiest) to get this done is via TACACS.  Set up
a TACACS
box with Cisco Freeware version (if you are a cheap skate like myself).
Furthermore, you
need to implement AAA authorization on the router for this to work.  With
AAA aauthorization,
you can even restrict users from seeing the configuration even if he/she has
enable privilege.  Here
is a sample of what is needed to be configured on the router:

aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ local enable
aaa authentication login usenone none
aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable
aaa authorization commands 0 default group tacacs+ if-authenticated
aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs+ if-authenticated none
aaa accounting send stop-record authentication failure
aaa accounting exec default start-stop group tacacs+
aaa accounting commands 0 default start-stop group tacacs+
aaa accounting commands 1 default start-stop group tacacs+
aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group tacacs+

The TACACS server is where you restrict user access to the router.  For
example,  I have a user name "reg".  This user can has access to the
privilege mode; however, this user can NOT use the "show running" to
view the configuration.  The drawback to AAA authorization, at least in the
way I implement it is that if the router somehow, loses connectivity to the
TACACS server, user "reg" can have complete control of the router.
However, in almost all cases, the router is configured to have at least 2
TACACS servers for redundancy.  Here is a snip of the login sequence for
user "reg":

User Access Verification

Username: reg
Password:

ACCESS-SERVER>en
Password:
ACCESS-SERVER#conf t
Command authorization failed.

ACCESS-SERVER#

TACACS server is very powerful and flexible.  However, Cisco
TACACS Freeware doesn't have a lot of documentation so
your learning curve might be steep.  It takes me a while to learn it
since my Unix skill isn't that great to begin with.  But I have to say
that this freeware is rock solid.

Let me know if you have questions.