From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Allen May
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 10:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NAT commands [7:27539]

You need TACACS to authenticate to a pool of internal IPs through the PIX.
That gets you on the internal IP network & is controlled by access-lists.
Next if you still need more authentication via VPN then connect to the
server after TACACS VPN is connected.  The only time I needed this second
step was when I wanted to authenticate to NT or Novell servers.  No need to
have all "real" ip's.  You can IPSec in and you've got all the internal IP
address space you'd ever need available to you.

I won't even comment on the "sucks" thing since I use all 3..PIX, BSD,
Linux, etc.  PIX can handle it just fine.  And we definitely won't go into
specifics on why *nix is more vulnerable to attacks & proven so by studies
(vs a true firewall).  If you're interested in details check the archives.
However, I do recommend a version of *nix (anything but the most hacked one,
Redhat) for TACACS rather than NT.

Something about purely *nix and Apple people bugs me...maybe it's all the
complaining and tendency to start fights ;)

Allen