At 07:35 AM 11/29/01 -0500, Tel Khan wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I dont fully undertand VLSM i have read this in the Sybex book and i'm still
>at a loss, I would be grateful for some guideness.
>
>Sorry for beeing thick!
>
>Regards
>Tel
VLSM means you can variable length subnet masks.

192.168.0.0/24 is normally a "classic class C block".  Let us say you want
to break it up into two subnets, normally you would do

192.168.0.0/25
192.168.0.128/25

What VLSM lets you do is have this scenario.  Say I want 3 subnets!

192.168.0.0/25
192.168.0.128/26
192.168.0.192/26

Notice, now I have Variable Length Subnet Masks!

Normally, since subnet info is not passed into certain routing protocols at
all, they trust on the subnet mask assigned on the router's
interface.  Obviously, with just that method, you can ONLY break them into
the same subnet masks across all subnets.  In the VLSM case, I can break
them up dynamically into smaller and smaller pieces.  You can expand this
example to make tiny /30 networks too.  Ultimately, it is not that
magical.  It just means you can pass these routes into one router's
interface without getting it confused because the routing protocols that
support VLSM carry the subnet mask information within the routing packets.

-Carroll Kong