Hello,

sorry i`ve taken so long to reply....

the underlying technology is an SMDS network...we have bought a 10 meg pipe
that has the capacity to Burst upto 25meg..(think Frame..same sort of
thing)..

so yes it is impossible to use 120% ...but i should have said 120% of what
we are allowed ...sorry...my bad

it`s SMDS which is just basically AAL3 over a HSSI int to the provider ATM
backbone...so BT say`s

about the SARing.....we were thinking about that but....

we are only  using Ethernet apps...we have OSPF,Multicast SMDS,HTTP,Mail
netbeui,ipx(tunneld)...that`s all ...
non of this stuff should generate packets bigger than 1500...

the only thing i have been able to come up with since then is....

it goes from
HUB....PTMultiP (10 sites) over HSSI multicast....
To Spoke PTP multicast...
both of our ends are serail ....so prehaps it was losing something in the
sar`ing at both ends...

i am really stumped as to how changes to the MAX MTU size would do
anything......i thought with this command all we were doing was allowing
a MAXIMUM TRANSMISSION SIZE....not changing the interface so every unit is
set to this size...that`s what foxes me......

cheers anyway

steve