From: Chuck Larrieu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 8:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Lab Attempt #2 - no go :-< [7:28142]

I wish I could say it took so long to get my results back because my
excruciatingly sophisticated solutions to the problems presented required
detailed and intimate analysis. Alas, that was not the case.

For those ninnies who complain that the one day lab devalues the process,
all I can say is WRONG! The lab I saw was far more difficult than I remember
from my previous attempt, and my previous attempt was NOT easy. In my first
attempt, I did not see anything I couldn't do. This time, although FAR
better prepared, I saw LOTS of things I couldn't do. IMHO, the one day
format, with the elimination of the monkey tasks, allows Cisco to demand a
lot more. The 26 points previously allocated to terminal server setup,
cabling, and troubleshooting all go someplace. WOW! The places they went!
up the ante, and not always in ways one might expect. Some things I wouldn't
have expected were there in spades. Probably THE major factor continues to
be reachability. If you don't understand the implications of the given
network topology, and given interactions, you will be screwed.

The topology presented was interesting. Amazing what one can do on a six
router / two switch pod to wreak havoc and let you know what an idiot you
are. Devious doesn't begin to describe it. Bootcamp and IPExpert - it ain't
the number of routers, boys!

The e-mail feedback is amusing, but not particularly informative. I failed
with a score greater than 20, meaning I can go back in 30 days for more
humiliation, if I so desire. the breakdown percentages ( not scores ) would
be of more interest if I were sitting with the proctor discussing the whys
and the expectations. Otherwise it does me no god at all. for example, I
solved a particular problem doing something a particular way. It worked just
fine in terms of the results. Yet on that section I scored very poorly. What
were they looking for?

Fat fingers are still the major enemy for me, at least. It's no fun fat
fingering on a Cat 5K. Not by any means. It also helps to be certain layer
two stuff is done correctly.

Well, debriefing will be fun. I have the topology duplicated in my home lab,
and I will "enjoy" analyzing the problems I saw in the real lab. No you
can't telnet in to look. DON'T ASK!

In terms of seating, it appears to me that there are now more racks in the
lab, in San Jose, anyway. Half the seats are taken by those testing. The
other half seem to be those used the previous day. the proctors crank
through the idle racks, grading the previous day's results.

One last thing. I know what CCO says, and I know what IOS I saw on my rack.
Rats. The advertised IOS would have gone a long way towards eliminating a
particular problem I had. Not complaining, because any CCIE should have been
able to solve the particular puzzle no matter what the IOS involved. Just
observing that some things are still in the process of change.

The proctors are still the good folks I remember from last time. Too bad we
are not given the opportunity for more interaction afterwards. I would
really have enjoyed discussing my results.

Whelp, another time.

Chuck