From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
ndabarasa michel
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 11:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What's the critical difference between level 3 switching
[7:28315]

hello,
the difference between layer3 and layer2 switching is that:

*for layer2 switching the switching box use the info in the
second layer of the OSI model(datalink layer) to choose
where to forward the frame while.the info used is the MAC
address ab:34:fe:bla:blabla:blablabla

*while for layer3 switching the box uses the info in the
third layer of the OSI model to make forwarding
decisions.the info in layer3 is the IP address   210.12.x.x

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:57:43 -0500
 "c.h.ip"  wrote:
> hi all,
>
>       It seems that both is looking for level 3 header
> information (like
> destination IP address) to make decision of packet
> forwarding.
>
>       Just can't get into the concepts between them.
>
>       Any hint is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> c.h.Ip
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          /'^ ^'\
         ((o)-(o))
 |----oOOO--(_)--OOOo--------------|-|-
 |  Ndabarasa Michel...............               |
 |  CCNA,CCAI......................                      |
 |  National University of Rwanda..  |
 |  Computing Centre...............               |
 |  office (+250)530666............          |
 |  cell   (+250)08510951..........        |
 |====   .oooO                       |
               (_/

FREE! The Best in Rwanda Email Address @mail.rw
Reserve your name right now at http://mail.rw