great info on the cam table commands!

question:

I would like to hear from the list members so inclined to read and respond
to this meager cabling question.

With a new data center in mind, (probably gig Ethernet over all 4 pairs of
copper) is there a call to use cat 5 Shielded cable due to the surrounding
equipment, interference, etc...   This seems odd to me, I am thinking just
go with Unshielded Twisted Pair on the Cat 5 runs from say the servers to
the switch, and anywhere not utilizing fiber.   Anyone have any experience
with shielded TP for cat 5?   Is this a real solution, and is it necessary?

Thanks in advance, the list is always entertaining~!

Jason

exert from cisco.com

Shielded twisted-pair cable is the most commonly used cable in Token-Ring
environments. The media interface connectors (MICs) and baluns---used to
connect shielded twisted-pair and unshielded twisted-pair cabling---create a
loopback when they are disconnected; the loopback might cause anomalies with
the switch.