In older IOS versions you had a limited number of Interface Descriptor
Blocks, or IDBs.  On our 7513 using an RSP4 I believe the limit was 300
or so, which is pretty easy to run up against if you try.  :-)

In newer IOS releases--I think after 12.0--the limit was raised to over
1000, if I remember right.  Regardless, it's more than we'll ever use
here.

HTH,
John

>>> "Maccubbin, Duncan"  12/7/01 12:32:24
PM >>>
I have to disagree here. We had a fairly loaded 7200 fail due to having
too
many sub-interfaces. I dug around on Cisco's site and found a document
that
broke down the amount of memory each sub-interface used. (no, I can't
find
it now) We actually got quite a few more than they had it rated for
but
there are memory concerns all the same. If your 2600 doesn't have a lot
of
memory it will be limited. How many sub-interfaces you talking about?
How
much memory does the box have? You may want to consult Cisco if you
are
going over 50 or so. Just my $0.02.

Duncan