YEEHAW!!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Howard C. Berkowitz
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 12:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Speeding up BGP convergance in Bootcamp lab 18 [7:28859]

>Nice... Nothing like taking cheap shots on someone that is sending to a
>forum thats supposed to help you learn.
>
>I'll bet you can remember a time back when you didn't know everything
>there is to know about BGP.
>
>Try adjusting the timers, soft neighbor reconfiguration.

>Dude, your a senior network engineer?
>
>Doing a clear ip bgp * forces the neigbors to renegotiate their
>relationship
>and resend ALL the routes.
>
>I think they are probably talking about using the neighbor
>soft-reconfiguration command.

Dude,

Isn't as simple as it looks. Just as a start of knowing about some of
the mechanisms being introduced, an excerpt from my upcoming book,
Building Service Provider Networks, is below.

I haven't read this specific scenario. I will make the point,
however, that fast BGP reconvergence isn't necessarily a good thing,
when weighed against Internet stability.  Reconverging quickly to a
failed net is futile. Enterprises and ISPs will have different
perspectives on this.  So the scenario may be artificial rather than
real-world.

BGP convergence itself is not that well-defined, and I'm actively
involved in an IETF effort to formalize the definitions:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-conterm-00.txt

--------------

The next implementer approach was to have the router store the entire
Adj-RIB-In, rather than only those routes in it that passed filtering
criteria and went to the Loc-RIB.   If the acceptance policy then
changed, the information already was there to refilter. While this
improvement avoided needing to do a full reconvergence, it was both
memory and processor intensive.

The next step was to negotiate a soft refresh between pairs of BGP
speakers.  When both routers advertise the route refresh capability, a
speaker whose policies change can send a ROUTE REFRESH message to the
neighbor.  On receipt of that message, the neighbor will readvertise the
appropriate Adj-RIB-Out, which the local speaker will refilter and send
the surviving routes to its Loc-RIB.

Figure 12: Route Refresh

Even though soft refresh improved the situation, there was still the The
Adj-RIB-In conceptually contains all BGP routes received on an
interface.   When the speaker at the other end is sending all, or a
substantial part, of the global routing table, per-interface memory
requirements can become quite large.

A fairly straightforward workaround was to keep the Adj-RIB-In
conceptual.  As routes were received, acceptance policy rules were
applied to them, and only those that "survived" the input policy were
sent to the Loc-RIB.  This seems a reasonable workaround -- until you
change an acceptance policy rule.  At that point, how do you know that
one of the "rejected" routes would not pass the new policy, and belongs
in the RIB?

The first operational solution was to "bounce" the BGP session up and
down, resulting in the neighbor resending its entire Adj-RIB-Out.
Especially on slower links, this could take significant bandwidth and
introduce a noticeable delay.   If BGP rules were followed, all routes
whose next hop was to the neighboring router were now invalid, and would
have to be readvertised to all other neighbors, causing a cascading
bandwidth and processing requirement on other routers, potentially
across the entire Internet.

real-world problem that the sender of the Adj-RIB-Out might very well
send routes that would be filtered by the receiver, wasting bandwidth
and receiver processing time. Outbound Route Filtering was a new way to
deal with this problem.

Outbound Route Filtering

I have long maintained that BGP doesn't transmit policies, but sends the
information on which policy decisions are made based on information
configured into the router by element management.  Outbound Route
Filtering (ORF) has forced me to modify that position,  giving a final
(if qualified) victory to a long-running debate between me and Sue
Hares, co-chair of the IDR working group that develops BGP.  At the next
IETF we attend, I owe her a drink.

The idea of ORF is that it can be of mutual benefit to a pair of routers
to exchange their acceptance policies, so a router about to send its
Adj-RIB-Out can prefilter it, thus requiring only the bandwidth for the
updates the receiver really will use.

Figure 13:  Outbound Route Refresh

Several independent proposals have been made for the policies that can
be exchanged, and there is an attempt in the IDR committee to come up
with a unified proposal that contains the three filtering criteria
suggested:
o       Prefix expression for NLRI
o       AS path expression
o       Community

These are a subset of the policy options available on commercial
routers, but cover the great majority of cases. Like soft refresh, ORF
is an optional capability that must be advertised and agreed to between
peer BGP speakers.

Graceful Restart

In the real world, things break. Operational experience has shown that
the control plane of a router may crash, breaking all routing protocol
sessions and stopping updates to the RIB, but the FIB and forwarding
plane may remain operational. The BGP Graceful Restart capability takes
an optimistic view of the FIB contents:  that it is more useful to
continue forwarding while the routing system recovers, accepting the
possibility that some FIB entries may have become obsolete, than to stop
forwarding altogether until routing works properly again.

Graceful Restart capabilities also are being developed for ISIS and
OSPF, and it is arguable that BGP Graceful Restart makes little sense if
the BGP speaker does not also implement IGP Graceful Restart.  When the
IGP does support Graceful Restart, it is good practice for BGP to wait
to begin to do route selection until the IGP converges.

When the routing system on a highly connected router in the Internet's
Default Free Zone (DFZ) fails, strict interpretation of current BGP
practice can impact the Internet as a whole.  Remember that  when a BGP
speaker loses connectivity to a route, it must withdraw the route and
propagate the withdrawal to all peer speakers to whom it previously
advertised the route.  It may advertise a new route with a different
next hop, but it must withdraw the failed route.

The Graceful Restart capability provides a way to avoid a flood of
withdrawals and announcements, on the assumption that the routing
control subsystem can be restarted, and the router can keep forwarding
while its BGP is reinitializing.  Specifically, advertising this
capability tells peer speakers that the router advertising the
capability can retain its FIB during a BGP restart.  It is not intended
for use when the speaker explicitly terminates the session with a
NOTIFICATION message.

Optimism can be a great character trait in humans, but network engineers
have to pay homage to Murphy's Law.  For the graceful restart capability
to be plausibly fault-tolerant, it must have safeguards against its
optimism being unjustified.  More deployment experience is needed to
tell the optimal timer values, or possibly the need for other
safeguards, to prevent excessive blackholing or route flapping.

In the capabilities advertisement is a restart time, which is an
estimate, in seconds, of the time it will take the BGP session to
reinitialize after a restart. If the timer expires and the router that
advertised the capability does not return, its peers can declare it down
faster than they would by waiting for the BGP session to time out.
One feature of this capability, which could be useful beyond the
original intent of the graceful restart capability, is the End-of-RIB
marker.  The presence of this marker in an update indicates that all
routes have been sent, and, if the interface has been batching any
routes, full convergence can begin. Indeed, it has been recommended that
as long as a BGP speaker can generate end-of-RIB, it can be useful that
it advertise the Graceful Restart capability even if it cannot retain
its FIB during a BGP restart.

Figure 14:  Advertising During Graceful Restart

Once the receiving speaker receives the End of RIB marker from all peers
who have indicated they are restarting, it can begin to run route
selection on the received routes. Assume the situation in Figure 14,
where Router cinnamon is restarting. Until it receives an end-of-RIB
marker from all its peers for a given address family, it has not built
its Loc-RIB and thus has no routes to advertise.

After route selection, the FIB is updated and any previously marked
stale data is removed. The reason stale data must be removed at this
time is to avoid the effects of multiple restarts. One of the
complexities of Graceful Restart is properly handling multiple restarts.

The solution involves the Restarting Speaker marking its existing routes
as stale.  Stale routes are not treated differently from other routes in
the forwarding process.  A router with this capability optionally may
include a stale route retention timer, and flush these routes if the
timer expires. It must support a timer that can be configured as to how
long to defer the start of route selection.