I upgraded a 2600 and a couple of 2500's some time ago.
The 2600 worked just fine and so did the flash memories to the 2500's.
The 2500 DRAM's however...

To make a long story short, it turned out that since there is a large number
of revisions of the 2500 not all memories worked in all boxes.
In the end I got a new shippment which had chips from a different vendor on
it (Nania instead of Samsung). These modules worked just fine and still runs
without a problem.

The lesson I learned from this is that it's probably no problem to get 3rd
party memories for newer boxes, but for older ones you really have to have a
good relationship with your supplier.