(REPOST)

I've been fighting with one of my practice labs the last couple of days. The
problem is one of those OSPF to IGRP redistribution with a twist. The IGRP
domain is /28. So how to get those shorter /24 prefixes advertised. Oh yeah,
you can't use the default-network command to create an IGRP default route.

So let me offer this possibility.

IP local policy route-map

the route map then goes something like this:

route-map igrp-default permit 10
set default interface [whatever the interface is]

I also suspect that set ip default next-hop x.x.x.x works also, but at the
time I was testing I hadn't thought through all the implications, and my
test failed.

In any case, the local policy would have to be implemented on all routers in
the IGRP domain. A bit of planning, then, is required.

I found out something else that was interesting. Local policy packets seem
to have a particular way they are constructed. the first time I looked at my
debug ip packet, the source address was one of my loopback addresses, which
I was not advertising under IGRP. So of course my pings failed, because the
distant end did not have a route back. So I deleted the loopback, tried
again, and this time the source address was a LAN interface, this too not
advertised under IGRP. I am assuming that Cisco has a hierarchy of
interfaces. Usually a ping is sourced at the interface out which the packets
are headed. But for local policy, it was different.

Any case, I am offering these observations for consideration.

Wish I hadn't turned my routers off last night. Or I could gather some
screen shots.

Chuck