it depends on the layer2 protocol and how the router handles it if it sees
its own packets coming back. I am using loops often to test a line if it
is ok or has any problem. I am not sure how FrameRelay encapsulation
behaves when you loop the line but i think it sounds feasible that it
will not come to an up/up state. To debug the situation i would consider
that the framerelay link consist out of three parts:

- the local loop on one side (first accessline to the frame cloud)
- the framerelay cloud
- the local loop on the other side (second accessline to the fr cloud)

to test if the local loops are working fine i would ask the carrier to
give you a loop on their side facing in your direction so the signal
travels from your router to the providers framerelay location, over the
loop and back to your router - without travelling any framerelay related
equipment. You can set then a more 'loop-friendly' encapsulation like
HDLC on your side and thoroughly test the line with a few long pings to
see if any problems occur. If you have no problems with that tests on
both of your lines to the frame-relay cloud, let the provider remove the
loops and reconfigure your routers to frame relay. You can assume then
that your local loops to the FR cloud are running error-free.

For more framerelay related debugging i can recommend:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/service/troubleshooting/ts_fr.htm

hth

Reinhold