From: richard beddow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 9:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: about multicast address! [7:29057]

An IP m'cast address is 32 bits long (as with any IP address), the first for
bits are 0x1110 leaving 28 bits. (Still with me :))

Any m'cast ethernet borne frame has a 48 bit MAC (as do all ethernet
frames).  A 25 bit prefix is assigned leaving 23 bits.

As 28 won't go into 23 there must be some duplication, there is a short fall
of five bits and 2 to the 5 is 32.   Hence and one m'cast MAC represents 32
IP addresses.

For instance

224.1.1.1
224.128.1.1
225.1.1.1
225.128.1.1
etc
etc
238.1.1.1
238.128.1.1
239.1.1.1
239.128.1.1

are all allocated a MAC of 0100.5e01.0101.

Hope this is explained OK.

RB