FIN-WAIT-2 is one of the TCP states in the TCP state machine. See the TCP
RFC for more info (RFC 793).

The RFC says, "FIN-WAIT-2 represents waiting for a connection termination
request from the remote TCP."

So probably your side sent a FIN but never received a FIN back.

Session close is supposed to be either a 3-way or 4-way handshake:

FIN from host 1
FIN ACK from host 2
ACK from host 1

FIN from host 1
ACK from host 2
FIN from host 2
ACK from host 1

But a lot of recent applications don't do this and just end the session
with an ACK, without sending a FIN, leaving the other guy hanging (until a
timeout).

It's not a big deal, as far as I know, but you might want to research it
more in case there is a security hole involved with this behavior. I don't
think there is though.

Priscilla

At 09:23 AM 12/13/01, Francis Lind wrote:
>Hello all been slowing learning my security prodedures and such and ran into
>something at work.
>
>  ciscoTelnetTrap [1] tslineSesType.0.1 (Integer): telnet[2] tcpConnState:
>port  port 23 (Integer): finwait2
>
>I've so far translated it as IP address1 is setting up a telnet session to
>IP address 2. What I'm trying to decipher is the meaning of the finwait2. I
>looked on cisco's webpage and learned that finwait is the time that a
>firewall will manage a tcp connection after it detects a fin exchange. I'd
>like to know if anyone can either explain or point me towards some info
>explaining the fin exchange what it is and what does.
>

>Thanks in advance

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com