Mentor did something very similar with their vLab offerings.  This sounds
like a recreation/alternative to those labs, which in my humble opinion were
very good from
1) an accessability perspective (globally available and accessible)
2) a learning perspective (taught the basic principle through configuration
3) a documentation perspective (the proposed solutions were usually correct
because they'd been checked)
4) a challenge perspective (if one tried to do the configurations without
the solution, there were definitely issues that needed to be addressed)

Although they were more training centric versus certification-centric, labs
were categorized by skill level (beginner=CCNA, intermediate=CCNP/early
CCIE, advanced/expert)

The only thing restrictive (and really not that restrictive all things
considered) was the relatively high cost per session (min $40 for a 3 router
pod for 60-90 minutes of virtual lab time).

$40, and one thin mint, btw.

More when I have a moment to address each point individually

-e-
"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK..."