The other issue if you try to use my tunneling method is that you'd need
a different tunnel for each mask length!  My method works very well with
one or two masks.  Beyond that it would just be a mess!

Last night I was playing with a variation of the tunnel technique where
I put the tunnel in an entirely different major network.  This would
cause the redistributing router to summarize to the major net before
advertising to the IGRP router.  It works great except for the major net
that already exists on the IGRP router.  For example....

A-------(igrp)-------B

This link is 172.16.1.0/28.  You then create a tunnel and assign it
4.0.0.0/8.  On B--which is also running OSPF-- you add network 4.0.0.0
to IGRP and then redistribute OSPF into IGRP.  B will advertise
172.16.0.0/16 to A via the tunnel interface.  Unfortunately, A ignores
it.  I found no way to make A use that route.

Perhaps I'm headed in the right direction but just on the wrong track.
;-)  I'm hoping this idea that doesn't work will spark an idea that does
work.

Regards,
John

>>> "Gregg Malcolm"  12/14/01 3:31:45 PM >>>
Chuck,

Seems appropriate that you are due for some pain from the dentist
after
screwing up my day (and more than likely, my weekend) with this
question.
It is a very good question tho. Have been thinking about it for awhile
and
have it set up on my home lab.  Obviously, if the masks were reversed
on the
routing protocols, it with be a trivial matter w/ an OSPF summary.

How many routers are you using in this scenario?  I am currently using
three
with the middle being the re-dist point (have 6 in my lab so I can make
in
larger).  I recall the post from John N regarding the use of a tunnel
for a
situation like this.  I believe the problem is that in this case it
would
require using a /27 mask in the IGRP domain.  If the scenario calls for
only
/28 masks in IGRP, then this would be a violation.

So, are the rules :
1. No default-network
2. No static
3. No policy routing
4. Only /28 in IGRP, /27 in OSPF

Thanks,  Gregg

""Chuck Larrieu""  wrote in message
> It occurs to me that there is another answer to this problem.
>
> So as a Friday Follies question: what is the other answer I came up
with?

> Remember, the IGRP domain is /28 the OSPF domain contains routes /27
and
> shorter. You must assure reachability to all interfaces in the OSPF
domain.
> You are not allowed to use a default network or any static routes to
attain
> this end.
>
> for extra credit - make it funny. I will be needing a good laugh
after the
> dentist is through with me this afternoon. :-O
>
> Chuck

Of

> Chuck Larrieu
> Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 7:56 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: The old "how to get routes into IGRP" question again -
possible
> [7:29021]
>

> (REPOST)
>
> I've been fighting with one of my practice labs the last couple of
days.
The
> problem is one of those OSPF to IGRP redistribution with a twist. The
IGRP
> domain is /28. So how to get those shorter /24 prefixes advertised.
Oh
yeah,
> you can't use the default-network command to create an IGRP default
route.

> So let me offer this possibility.
>
> IP local policy route-map
>
> the route map then goes something like this:
>
> route-map igrp-default permit 10
> set default interface [whatever the interface is]
>
> I also suspect that set ip default next-hop x.x.x.x works also, but
at the
> time I was testing I hadn't thought through all the implications, and
my
> test failed.
>
> In any case, the local policy would have to be implemented on all
routers
in
> the IGRP domain. A bit of planning, then, is required.
>
> I found out something else that was interesting. Local policy packets
seem
> to have a particular way they are constructed. the first time I
looked at
my
> debug ip packet, the source address was one of my loopback
addresses,
which
> I was not advertising under IGRP. So of course my pings failed,
because
the