shawn,

Your configuration looks ok, and this should work.  Try Pressing "enter" a
few times when you see this message:

R2509#telnet 10.1.1.1 2001
Trying 10.1.1.1, 2001 ... Open

Also, make sure that your loopback interface is up. It should always be up,
but just make sure using "sh ip int brief".  If that is not the problem.
Make sure that your cables are plugged into the console (not the aux) port,
and make sure that the lines you are trying to connect to are the ones that
are connected to your routers.   You may have not connected lines 1-5 to
anything, which could give you this message.  If all of my suggestions fail,
let me know.