I never found a use for the Virtual Ring interfaces.  To test
DLSw and RSRB configs really requires something to generate
traffic and I only know of a few ways to do that.

First, if you have an IOS that can do APPN, search through the
archives for APPN and you'll find some configs that allow your
routers to be APPN end-nodes.  If your DLSw or RSRB configs are
correct, your nodes will connect.

Another option is to have two PCs running NetBEUI.  That's
probably the best option if you can do it.

Thirdly, you can use other routers as hosts but this can be
tricky.  DLSw was not intended to transport IP but it can if
you tweak it correctly.  I have set up SRB with DLSw and tested
it using pings but it definitely can be treacherous.  :-)

Good luck,
John

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Raymond Cai ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:

> Hi, John
>
> I saw you ask the question about usability of virtual token
ring
> interface
> several month ago on groupstudy, may I know your findings?
>
> I 'd like to know whether it is possible to connect 1601 and
2501 back
> back with a virtual tr interface at each end and practice
RSRB. seems to
> me
> the connection is always closed no matter which encapsulation
I use,
> direct
> or tcp. I am not sure whether it is bcos of my config or the
virtual tr
> interface.
>
> Another question is how come I can assign IP address to
virtual tr
> interface
> while using 12.0.20 , but not on 12.2.6.?
>
> Appreciate your help.
>
> Raymond
> CCNP/CCDP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]