>belaboring beyond all usefulness maybe, but I am prone to write this one off
>as "because that's how it works" and move one. secondary addressing appears
>to be filled with pitfalls.  I believe it has nothing to do with RFC's, but
>rather, it's just the way the code runs. I think over the past few weeks we
>have examined the behaviour in detail, and have at best a few things to try,
>but no real consistency. RIP appeared to be happier with secondary
>addressing than does IGRP.
>
>with regards to the /16 summary, IGRP appears to accept routes only with the
>classful mask matching that of the interface that receives the route. I
>suppose a good question is "how does it know?" In my experiments, I
>redistributed lots of routes with lots of different masks into IGRP. Only
>those with a mask matching that of the IGRP domain were accepted. A summary
>/16 was never created. At this point I am supposing that the redistribution
>code is what controls that. Otherwise, why not accept ALL routes as matching
>the IGRP domain mask? e.g. 129.5.10.1/22 as 129.5.10.0/28 for example?
>
>I wish CCO got into this kind of thing a bit more. Sure would love to talk
>to the people who coded this stuff.

What I wish is that Cisco would STOP TEACHING classful addressing.
With classless addressing, pretty much all the needs for secondary
addresses go away.

Treat classful legacy networks as a special case like NetBEUI or Banyan.

The problem, in part, is that IGRP and RIPv1 were not designed or
implemented with secondary addresses in mind.  They dealt well with a
consistent classful world on primary addresses only.