DSN is not exactly what I would refer to as tapping into the
local telco.  DSN (Defense Switched Network) replaced AUTOVON
(Automatic Voice network in the mid to late 1980s and through
the early 90s).  AUTOVON was set up to principally be a voice
only network, and in many case over analog switch facilities.
DSN converted it over to all diigital, and included voice,
video, and data over the same trunks.

The key difference between DSN and a regular commercial call is
they go over different trunks and they terminate at DSN
compliant switches.  There are several things different about
DSN compliant switches, but the key difference is the use of
precedence, and precedence codes.  They have no real
counterpart in a commercial trunk, other than an operator
interrupt for an emergency.  With DSN, the end user can preempt
a trunk and knock another user off the line with the proper
precedence level.  Some folks out there who know their RFCs and
remember the early 760 series standards may recognize those
precedence levels.  They are:

FLASH OVERRIDE (FO) -FO takes precedence over and preempts all
calls on the DSN and is not preemptible. FO is reserved for the
President of the United States, Secretary of Defense, Chairman
of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, chiefs of military services, and
others as specified by the President.

FLASH (F) -FLASH calls override lower precedence calls and can
be preempted by FLASH OVERRIDE only. Some of the uses for FLASH
are initial enemy contact, major strategic decisions of great
urgency, and presidential action notices essential to national
survival during attack or preattack conditions.

IMMEDIATE (1) -IMMEDIATE precedence preempts PRIORITY and
ROUTINE calls and is reserved for calls pertaining to
situations that gravely affect the security of the United
States. Examples of IMMEDIATE calls are enemy contact,
intelligence essential to national security, widespread civil
disturbance, and vital information concerning aircraft,
spacecraft, or missile operations.

PRIORITY (P) -PRIORITY precedence is for calls requiring
expeditious action or furnishing essential information for the
conduct of government operations. Examples of PRIORITY calls
are intelligence; movement of naval, air, and ground forces;
and important information concerning administrative military
support functions.

ROUTINE (R) -ROUTINE precedence is for official government
communications that require rapid transmission by telephone.
These calls do not require preferential handling.

When I was involved in DSN communications in Europe, my unit
had a Flash precedence phone line, mainly because we had a
special mission (which is about all I can say).  We had the
capability of bumping everybody off the DSN network save for
the CINC US Army Europe and a few other folks.  You will most
likely have to deal with the issue of precedence.  Also, access
to a commercial line is normally done with dialing a 9 first
(typical for trunk access); DSN usually uses an 8 - Your
mileage may vary; check your local listings.

Finally, DSN uses a slightly different dial plan than the rest
of the universe (go figure:-)  While you may be able to access
the US with a country code of 001, or Germany with a country
code of 49, that's not how it's done with DSN.  Access is
determined by regions, and each region has its own "country
code".  The regions are:

Canadian Section
Caribbean Section
CONUS Section
European Section
Pacific/Alaska Section
Southwest Asia Section

All of the above information is public knowledge and freely
available.  Anything more is likely classified, and not subject
to posting on this list.  In case it isn't already clear at
this point, DSN is totally separate from the PSTN.

HTH,

Paul Werner

> I am working on an IP telephony solution and I need to hook
in to the
> DSN.
> From my current understanding DSN is sent out to the local
telco via the
> PSTN and is routed from there. This would make for a fairly
simple dial
> plan
> in Call Manager.  Has anybody heard anything different about
how DSN is
> setup to work?

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more