Hi there,

Took the CCIE Written today and passed.  Here's my 2 cents worth:

The test is quite tricky although I wouldn't use the word "tough" to
describe it.  If you went through the CCNA/CCNP track and took the time to
*understand* (i.e. not memorising the stuff in a parrot fashion) the topics
in the CCNP track then you should be okay.  85% of this exam is like an
extension to the CCNP topics and perhaps 15% are not covered in the CCNP
track.

For anybody that's taken the CID exam, this exam feels and looks similar in
my opinion.  Also 100 questions, 2 hours and quite tricky.

I've seen posts whereby people say they think this exam is harder because it
doesn't tell you how many correct answers.  Personally, I think if you know
your stuff, you should already *know* what the correct answers are.  Some of
the answers are clearly wrong anyway.  You shouldn't depend on the question
to tell you which answers are correct.  Besides, I think about 80% of the
questions are single answers and 20% multiple answers.

Very important that you spend the time to actually read the questions
carefully.  Read if twice, three times or even four times if you have to.
Just make sure you know what they're asking.  Can't stress this enough.

Pick out the key words.  For example, if it asks you something like "Host A
sends a packet to Host B on an Ethernet segment, what is the RIF?" The key
word is Ethernet, there is no such thing as RIFs in Ethernet!!!!!!

The test has 100 questions with 120 minutes.  I would say don't spend more
than 1 minute per question.  If you get stuck, mark the question and go back
later at the end.

Just before anybody asks, here are the resources I used to study:

- Caslow's book (I read it 3 times over and over again.  Although a bit
overkill for the written test, I think it builds a solid foundation for the
lab)

- Lou Rossi's Token Ring paper. (Go through it until you are 100% confident
you know what you're doing) Make sure you go through the exercises.

- CCO - not extensively, but just to clarify some topics.

- CCIE Studyguide from Cramsession.  Very good to refresh all the
topics once you've covered them.  I'd not use it as the primary study
resource though.

Good luck to all.

Blanco