I hope this answers your question about esp rules working through your f/w.

ESP uses protocol 50, but you have to set ip filters for tcp and udp as
well.  You did not say what type of vpn box you are using, so you will need
to verify.  Also, if you have a Net Ranger or similar device, you might be
getting "shunned" by it.  If you do a tcp dump on the internal and external
burb and you see terminal resets, check your Net Ranger Sensors and change
the alarm thresholds.

Chris Gordon