At 11:41 PM -0500 12/31/01, Cisco Cisco wrote:
>Howard,
>Most ISPs today just use "service compression" to
>compress the configuration when the configuration is
>to big too fit into NVRAM. I would not expect you to
>know that seeing as you do not really work on routers.

Dear Troll,

Apparently, you haven't been doing it for long either, since
compression has its limits -- as evidenced by the error message
"##Configuration too large to fit uncompressed in NVRAM Truncate
configuration? [confirm]".  I repeat: there are tier 1 routers that
cannot hold the necessary access lists in NVRAM.

There are several workarounds to this problem, primarily distributing
the filtering to the edge with customer-specific access lists, and
unicast reverse path verification. At best, these solve filtering,
not table churn, which requires other methods.

Nevertheless, there are considerable concerns in the IETF and IRTF
about the long-term scalability (over 3-5 years) of such methods, and
there's active work in defining the generation of routing paradigms
beyond BGP.  See the IRTF-RR requirements draft, the activities of
the PTOMAINE working group, the Future Domain Requirements team, etc.
Incidentally, participants in all these groups argue technically in
public forums, but they sign their names.

>Being a network engineer in the real world is
>different than writing about it. You seem to be just
>like some of the professors I had in college. Talk all
>day about a topic in the classroom but didn't know how
>it really works in the real world.
>
>I may not be a high level Cisco guru but I know enough
>to know when someone is just spewing hot air.

Why am I not surprised you are not a high level Cisco guru?

I don't propose to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed,
overconfident opponent, but I'll match the real-world networks I've
implemented, the protocol code I've written, etc., anytime....or
answer honestly when I don't know something.

Apparently, I still believe I can learn every day, and thank people
if they point out something I missed...as opposed to your "real
world" knowledge that covers everything.

For spiritual calm, you might meditate on the conflict between
virtual private networks and real networks.  Just in case you don't
recognize it, that's humor.