Everything that you said is correct and I love that PIX and I have
installed it many times with the failover option for high availability,
never the less what about clustering, what about logging, and I don't mean
Syslog data or the 512 lines that the PDM offers with limited information,
I can go on and on about the pros and cons of using platforms like windows,
Solaris, Linux.
Don't forget the FreeBSD that the Nokia box is based upon which is tightly
integrated with the firewall, scalability is the name of the game.
I have a lot of experience with every product offered by CheckPoint and
there competitors like Cisco, Netscreen and all the other solutions.
The only Vendor that can give a good and complete security solution is
CheckPoint and if you want to talk about clients, check the functionality
of the CheckPoint SecuRemote client of the SecureClient by it self or
together with the SCV function.
I am not trying to prove the CheckPoint is better every case need a
differant solution depends on the people operating the system and the
companies specific need (I am an integrator).
Personally I believe that CheckPoint has the best security solution on the
market today even if I love Cisco's solutions.

Gil

                    "Tim
O'Brien"

cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: OT - Firewall
performance Comparisons - is it quitting time [7:30658]

nobody@groups

tudy.com

01/02/2002
                    02:42
PM

Please
                    respond
                    "Tim
O'Brien"

A couple of points, and I will then get off of my soapbox...

Checkpoint NG is STILL an application running on UNIX or NT, not a self
contained appliance. Personally I love Microsoft (let the flames begin!),
however, with the critical updates that I see getting installed on my 2000
and XP workstations I am POSITIVE that I would not want to trust my company
security to it. Another point.. Have you ever installed and configured a
Checkpoint firewall? You can have the PIX up and running with failover even
before you get the OS half installed on the new server that you need to buy
for it, thus raising the cost for an already more expensive solution in
man-hours and equipment. The PIX is also very interoperable with other
devices in the network. You can create PIX to PIX or PIX to IOS or PIX to
3000VPN site-to-site with other offices or home offices with built in 56bit
DES or available 3DES . You can tunnel in VPN clients (free Cisco VPN
client
available). You can tunnel in Microsoft PPTP or L2TP sessions. And one last
point, Have you ever had to get support from Checkpoint??? enough said
about
that one...

If you would like to discuss further contact me offline...

Tim