On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 10:35:50PM -0500, Cisco Certification Digest thus
spoke:

> Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:12:06 -0500 From: "Richard Tufaro"
>  Subject: OT: SCO System V/386 [7:30701]
>
> Hey guys/gals I know this is really OT but I thought I would throw
> it out there to see if anyone has any ideas. Iv got a SCO V/386
> System and apparently the thing is old that no one remembers the
> password to it....OR is even with the company anymore. Is there a
> way that I can boot with a floppy into a low level of the OS to
> extract and passwd file and crack it offline? Anyone know of a
> program that does this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well SCO had several SCO V/386's.  As to cracking the password off
line - forget it.  You may be lucky and your best bet if you want
to do that is get one of the CD's with fully encrypted
dictionaries.

If you have the boot floppies you can break out in the install and
wind up at a shell prompt.  The you can mount the hd, and chroot
to /mnt, and then just run     passwd root

The Cicso list is not the place where you'll get the best answers.
You can also try the comp.unix.misc.sco.misc group.  You need to
boot up and make note of the exact version of the OS.  There are
replacement boot floppies for several of the SCO versions at
one of the caldera.com web sites.