What model and antenna are you using?  How thick is the vegetation?
I setup a building to building wireless link this summer using BR342s on
each end, with a Yagi high-gain on one side and a omni high gain on the
other.  The distance was approximately 400m through approximately 100m of
tree canopy.  I get about 500kbit transfer rate at maximum gain, but it's
completely reliable even through rain and snow.  The speed isn't a problem
since the link is for Internet access only and I only guarantee 384kbit
throughput for the WAN connection.  As usual, your mileage may vary.

Craig