>Multi-area ISIS is really a CLNS topic.  It is indeed not recommend
>that one run multi-area for IP only routing. Some use in transition
>networks may take place, but your better to simply interconnect with
>a proper L2 backbone than merge areas.

First, let me be sure we are talking about the same thing. I think of
multi-area as implying a backbone. Are you using it in the sense of
multiple area identifiers in a level 1 area?

>The command clns routing is only required if you intend to route
>clns.  For IP only environments, it is not needed.  In IP only, you
>configure one NET per ISIS instance, and one ISIS instance per L1
>area you intend to form adjacencies within.  The configs your
>looking at on CCO likely include the command clns router isis on
>each interface.  I doubt there are many IP only multi-area configs
>on CCO given it is not a recommended practise.

The main application I've seen, for which there are some CCO
documents, are telco applications when you are merging the CMIP
infrastructure for several central offices or SONET control points,
in order to reduce the requirement for L2 routers.

Of course, CCIE lab usage and best current practices often are
orthogonal at best, and in different space-time continuua at worst.
:-)