Not that I think doing this type of stuff on employees is a good idea
I've been in positions where it was needed.  By making the HR policy and
have midlevel managers reinforce its existence in meetings you've done a
good part of warning.  Then by *allowing* the application's default
behavior you can monitor usage.  With monitored usage contacting folks
personally with a "hey we know what you're doing and it's braking
company policy" message; this can be a great task for NOC personnel in
the downtime.

The final step is using those managers which have surely exposed
themselves as supporters of this policy.  Make the list of violators
available as a matter of record and they'll do all the dirty work for
you.  Word of these examples will spread and usage tends to all but
stop.

I've found this much easier and more rapid than outright prevention
which is a very difficult war to win in today's corporate networks which
don't depend upon proxies and bastions to interact with the outside
world.