maybe one on this list has had this happen to him and can console me or
maybe I can warn someone not to do what I have done and what led to all the
password in our ciscoworks installation to be overwritten with wrong ones
never try the "change attributes" function, not even for user fields! I did,
wanting all our routers (~ 1400) to be designated as such, so as to be able
to distinguish the routers from the switches in a exported list of the
inventory. this took endlessly ....
then looking on the inventory file I was seriously flabbergasted to note
that all the telnet passwords have been overwritten with the passwords of
the one device which happened to be first on the list. no fun. no, I didn't
do it accidentaly, there is no way to the "change passwords" screen if
"change user fields" only is checked on the previous screen.

by the way, is there someone at all who thinks RME is a useful tool, not for
a few routers, but for say a few thousands? I got a bad feeling after 1 1/2
years experience with flaky and weird behaviour of the thing. for example
all the "device attribute errors" from devices which have their credentials
perfectly correctly stored.
from Campus Manager on the other hand I got the feeling that it behaves more
predictably and reliably, as well as the Cisco View part.

perhaps there are other users who can tell me their experience

cheers georg