Just for clarity, this really isn't a split horizon
implementation.  Specifically, split horizon deals with prefix
advertisements directed out of  interfaces from which they were originally
learned which is not what IBGP does.  IBGP simply does not re advertise
prefixes learned from IBGP neighbors, irrespective of interface.

Although I agree with your math on full mesh peering, I'm not clear on the
your presented negative opinion wrt to route reflection?  Peering
requirements are dramatically reduced due to route reflector clustering and
route reflection is almost universally utilized in BGP networks.

Pete