The EVVOD class included alot of discussion about protocols, more
specifically ISDN, ATM and Frame Relay framing structures as well as some of
the voip signalling protocols(i.e skinny, H323, SIP, and the like.) Also
there was info about integration with legacy PBXs, Voice Mail, and the
basics of the Call Manager.
The trouble is I haven't seen a book that encompasses all these topics
effectivly.
But..here are a handful that I've found to be helpful. All Cisco press by
the way.

Integrating Voice and Data Networks
http://www.ciscopress.com/book.cfm?book=23
Good info about the evolution of traditional telephony to the present. Lots
of VoATM, VoFR, and VoIP material.

Deploying Cisco Voice over IP solutions
http://www.ciscopress.com/book.cfm?book=206
Great source of practical solutions.

CallManager Fundamentals
http://www.ciscopress.com/book.cfm?book=201
Pretty obvious from the name what this is about. The gory details of the
call manager.

Hope this helps.