A peer of mine is doing some testing of IPv6, has a tunnel to the
6bone.  There are a lot of organizations running some IPv6, more all the
time.  As for mainstream I would guess it's a good couple of years.  It
obviously cannot happen overnight but you will have the early adopters
as as more people gain experience, competance and comfort with IPv6 it
will grow and become "mainstream".

IPv6rtr#sh ipv6 int fa0/1.708
FastEthernet0/1.708 is up, line protocol is up
  IPv6 is enabled, link-local address is FE80::2B0:64FF:FE35:2801
  Global unicast address(es):
    3FFE:C00:8031:2::1, subnet is 3FFE:C00:8031:2::/64
  Joined group address(es):
    FF02::1
    FF02::2
    FF02::1:FF35:2801
    FF02::1:FF00:1
  MTU is 1500 bytes
  ICMP error messages limited to one every 500 milliseconds
  ICMP redirects are enabled
  ND DAD is enabled, number of DAD attempts: 1
  ND reachable time is 30000 milliseconds
  ND advertised reachable time is 0 milliseconds
  ND advertised retransmit interval is 0 milliseconds
  ND router advertisements are sent every 200 seconds
  ND router advertisements live for 1800 seconds
  Hosts use stateless autoconfig for addresses.

  Here is a good URL for much more info than I have:

http://www.6bone.net/

  Dave

"Steven A. Ridder" wrote:

> Another question,
>
> When's IPv6 gonna hit the mainstream?   Or the backbone?  Of all the stuff
> ever read on it, the main reason it came into play was because of the
> impending depletion of public addresses.  Well with NAT, firewall and other
> proxy services handiling a lot of requests onto the public internet, the
> depletion has been put out a few years (actually, does anyone have any good
> like, studies pointing out when this is supposed to happen now?).  So what
> else is going to drive the adoption of IPv6?
>
> --
>
> RFC 1149 Compliant.

David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer
CCIE# 2016
Qwest Communications Int. Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
612-664-3367

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"