I use both the NAI Sniffer and WildPackets EtherPeek. I like EtherPeek best
because the user interface is so intuitive. When trying to do a new task
(like save names or whatever), it seems like my first method of doing it
always works. With Sniffer, you have to fight the thing to get it to do
what you want.

Sniffer has an expert system that is somewhat useful for automatically
determining problems. EtherPeek has NetSense which is similar.

On the downside, EtherPeek used to do a poor job decoding some Cisco
protocols such as EIGRP, VTP, and ISL. I know they have fixed EIGRP (for
IP, but not IPX or AppleTalk) in their current version. I haven't checked
VTP or ISL.

I don't know pricing but I think they are quite expensive....

Priscilla

At 12:53 PM 1/8/02, Lupi, Guy wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone had experience with sniffers, not free ones like
>tcpdump and tethereal, but appliances that are made for that purpose.
>Anyone have any suggestions and approximate prices?  Thanks.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com