The best source is the IPv4 standard RFC 791:

"The Options provide for control functions needed or useful in some
  situations but unnecessary for the most common communications.  The
  options include provisions for timestamps, security, and special
  routing....The options may appear or not in datagrams...The option
field is variable in length.    "

The following options exist (from my own TCP/IP course):
o the security if the data field is encrypted,

o the source routing (loose or strict) where the actual route followed
by the datagram may be specified as a list of router addresses,

o the route recording, where the addresses of the visited routers are
recorded during the transit of the datagram through the internet path,

o the time recording (timestamp) used by the visited routers to register
the current time in the processed datagram.
For more details, codes etc. go to the RFC.

As options are extremely rarely used I wonder whether some filtering
upon them would be available on routers?

Rita