At 02:50 AM 1/9/02, Madisa Ramagoffu wrote:
>I have this question for you pls help
>
>In a token ring environment a sender send a packet to a destination
>with the ff in a packet

Where is FF in the packet? That's just one byte. Is it a one-byte field
somewhere? In decimal, it's 255. Where might that appear? Or do you mean
that the Destination Address is all FFs. The Destination Address is 48
bits. Each numeral represents one nibble (4 bits). So a Destination Address
of broadcast is:

FF FF FF FF FF FF

You will see many books that get this wrong and don't put enough FFs.

>Everything specified excerpt the dsap
>DSAP ????
>da specified
>sa  specified
>SSAP specified

The recipient wouldn't be able to figure out that the DSAP was missing. The
bytes are processed serially. The first byte that follows Source Address
(or Routing Info, if present) would be considered the DSAP even if the
source somehow forgot to actually insert a DSAP.

DSAP values could be:

00 This is a null SAP, but I think it does have meaning in SNA
FF Broadcast. This means go to all processes on the recipient device.
42 BPDU
06 IP
F0 NetBIOS
E0 IPX
AA SNAP

SNA also uses 04, 05, 08, and 0C

>The question . what will happen to the packet if the DASP is not
>specified????

It can't not be specified from the recipient's viewpoint. The frame could
be just a MAC frame used for Token Ring processing rather than to carry
upper-layer data. In that case, MAC data would follow the Source Address,
rather than a DSAP.

The first two bits of the Frame Control byte specify whether the frame is a
MAC (overhead) frame or upper-layer data carried in LLC.

00 MAC
01 LLC

>Is the packet going to be copied ?

If you are talking about the setting of the Frame Copied bits, this happens
at the MAC layer (not the LLC layer). If a device recognizes that the frame
is for it, it sets the Address Recognized bits. It also sets the Frame
Copied bits unless it doesn't have enough buffer space to actually copy the
frame. (You may want to look into the special case of a bridge and whether
it should set the Address Recognized and Frame Copied when forwarding a
frame).

>Is the packet going to be dropped ?
>Will it wait for the next packet or request a retransmit??

It certainly won't request a retransmit. This is a LAN data-link-layer
we're talking about.

>What about the A C bit ?

There's no such thing. You're probably thinking of the Address Recognized
or the Frame Copied bits, or maybe the Access Control byte at the beginning
of the frame.

>Pls  send me any information or links I can read if you have .

See IEEE 802.5. It's available here: http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/

Also, there's some white paper that everyone always recommends by Rossi.
It's on Token Ring. Search the archives or ask the group.

You should probably wait until Cisco finally takes Token Ring off the CCIE
tests. What's the point in learning all this? It's not going to help you be
a better network engineer!? ;-) Instead focus on general principles. What
is a Destination Address? What is its format? What is a DSAP? What is its
format? What is its purpose? What is LLC? How does a recipient process a
received frame? ETC.

Good luck!

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer