Hi all,

Deep in EIGRP I'm seem to be a bit  confused as to the inner workings
of the Hello/Hold timers.

The interface command "ip hello-interval eigrp 100 15" obviously sets
the interval by which the interface will multicast the hellos.

The command "ip hold-time eigrp 100 45" does not set the hold time on
the advertising router, but on the neighboring routers interface.

Thus you can never increase the hello more than 3 times without also
changing the hold-time (otherwise adjacencies will be lost/reset). The
hold-time can be set to any value without affecting the adjacencies
(not recommended though - you'll probably get SIA-related problems
instead).

My conclusion: always set both this values when making a change. Beware
of the SIA-timer (timers active). From the routers perspective the hello
timer is set localy, whereas the hold-timer is received.

Please confirm/reject/enlighten. The reason of my confusion was my
previous belief that the hold-timer is set by the neighbors hellos.
(RE-set would be more appropriate if the above is correct).

/Johan