Components of the EIGRP Metrics Calculation

In basic terms, the values are K1 - K5 are multipliers that give preference
to the metric components of bandwidth, load, delay, reliability, and MTU.

  a.. By default: K1 = 1, K2 = 0, K3 = 1, K4 = 0, K5 = 0.
  a.. Delay is the sum of all the delays of the links along the paths.
  a.. Bandwidth is the lowest bandwidth of the links along the paths.
      Component
     Equation

      Delay
     [Delay in 10s of microseconds] x 256

      Bandwidth
     [10000000 / (bandwidth in Kbps)] x 256

EIGRP uses this formula to calculate a metric if K5 is not equal to 0:

If K5 is equal to 0, then the metric formula is:

If K1 = 1, K2 = 0, and K3 = 1:

Metric = bandwidth + delay

In basic terms

K1 = bandwidth

K2 = Load

K3 = delay

K4 = reliability

K5 = MTU

 wrote in message
> I failed maths dismally at school now im faced with this metric stuff ...
>
> IGRP calculates the metric by adding together weighted values of different
> characteristics of the link to the network in question. These values
> (bandwidth, bandwidth divided by load, and delay) are weighted with the
> constants K1, K2, and K3. Here's the formula:
>

> Metric = K1 * BandW   (K2 * BandW)/(256-load)   K3*Delay
> The default constant values are K1=K3=1 and K2=K4=K5=0, so:
>

> Metric = BandW   Delay
> If K5 does not equal 0, an additional operation is done:
>

> Metric = Metric * [K5/(reliability   K4)]
> To find BandW, find the smallest of all the bandwidths from outgoing
> interfaces and divide 10,000,000 by that number. (The bandwidth is scaled
by
> 10,000,000 in kilobits per second.)
>
> ... can anyone put this into very very simple terms i don't understand how
> the K values work
>
> a prize will be awarded to the reply i understand :?\
>
> TIA Dave
[demime removed a uuencoded section named clip_image002.gif which was 25
lines]
[demime removed a uuencoded section named clip_image004.gif which was 14
lines]
[demime removed a uuencoded section named clip_image005.gif which was 25
lines]