I think that you are correct on the variance.  As for the unequal cost load
balancing, I'm pretty sure that IGRP is just like EIGRP.  The number of
packets per link is calculated something like:

worst metric / worst metric = 1
worst metric / better metric = some n > 1

I think you also have to issue the 'traffic-share balanced' router config
commmand.

I can't say for sure if it is acually packets or destinations that get
balanced.  All of the Cisco literature seems to suggest packets.