Hello,

I may be wrong.  However, basing upon my 1+ year
playing with CiscoWorks 2000 I would like to
contribute some following points.

1)  Forget about CiscoView.  It's really amazing at
first with all kind of pictorial display, but turned
out to be impractical due to slow responses.  We can
get same infos much faster from other functions.

2)  Being a Unix guy who stubbornly believes in the
efficacity of command lines, I still find very useful
the inventory function of RME.  A word of precaution,
not all device types can be recognized by RME.  If by
some mysterious reasons, RME fails to see some
devices, forget them.  Go back to CLI will save you
lot of time.  I learned my lessons more than once.  I
submitted TAC cases, followed up, spent time... and
finally had to accept (with or without TAC engineers)
that it was due to program bugs.  Well, don't forget
to upgrade patches especially if you have new kinds of
devices.

3)  RME is useful only if we do repetitive tasks.
Using it to change enable passwords (that tend to be
unique for each device) is not a good idea.
Personnaly, I think it's less prone to typo errors at
CLI (because I can see what I type) than typing twice
at RME without seeing anything.  I did mistyped more
than once, and had to reboot devices  :-< (Do you want
to check "write mem" option of password change ad hoc
jobs?  I don't, and always wait for a while before
running a separate "write mem" ad hoc job.)

Hopefully later on CiscoWorks will become more and
more stable.  Indeed it is right now gradually with
new version.

Just my 2 cents.

Viet Tran, half-CCNP.

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!