Serial interfaces don't have MAC addresses. IPX is a special case because
the network-layer node address IS the MAC address.

Think about frame formats and identifications for WAN protocols. What
identifies the sender in Frame Relay? A DLCI. How about ATM? A VPI/VCI
pair. How about PPP? No need because it's point-to-point. How about HDLC.
No need because it's point-to-point (in Cisco HDLC anyway).

How does a network layer address get mapped to a data-link identifier?
Static mapping or Inverse ARP for some protocols. PPP has the NCP which
sits between the two layers.

Priscilla

At 02:51 PM 1/14/02, Cisco Nuts wrote:
>Hello,
>Is there a way of verifying that a serial port in borrowing the mac address
>of the Ethernet/Tr port when it is connecting to another router in an IP
>network?
>I see this in an ipx network but not in an ip network. sh ipx int s0
>
>I tried the debug ip packet, detail, debug arp, debug broadcast etc. but I
>am not seeing that the serial port is using a mac address.
>
>What test can I do on my router to check that the serial port does borrow
>the first available Mac address of a Ethernet port on a router?
>
>Thank you.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com