I understand the gateway of last resort to be the destination of where the
traffic should be forwarded.  Hence gateway, not "local interface of last
resort"  :)

It really dosen't matter if on a point-to-point network, because you'd
forward the traffic out the interface and the other side would pick it up.
I'd imagine that on a multi-access netowrk such as ethernet where you had
three or more routers, if you just blasted the default traffic out the
interface, no one would pick it up if it wasn't destined to them.

--
RFC 1149 Compliant.