David,

Another thing that I wonder about is the remote end; what do those routers
look like?

If  you have something like this:

        +-Hub1---Hub3-+
        |     \ /     |
RemoteX-+      X      +-RemoteY
        |     / \     |
        +-Hub2---Hub4-+

You'll probably want to restrict what routes the remote routers can
advertise.

Given the size of your network, it would seem to me that something similar
to the following would be more appropriate (disclaimer here, I know nothing
of your business requirements nor am I looking at $$ as a limiting factor -
which I'm certain it is).  I'm making these basic assessments off the fact
that your network doesn't seem to follow the standard Cisco
Core-Distribution-Access model (yes, I've probably consumed too much of the
Cisco Kool-Aid).

        +-Distr1---Hub1---Hub3---Distr3-+
        |  |    \ /    \ /    \ /    |  |
RegionA-+  |     X      X      X     |  +-RegionZ
        |  |    / \    / \    / \    |  |
        +-Distr2---Hub2---Hub4---Distr4-+

Within each region you'd have a contiguous block of addresses (both WAN and
LAN segments) you then summarize from the distribution-layer routers to the
hubs.  The hub forward these summary routes to the other hub routers and so
on until they reach the remote routers in the other regions.

Again, I don't know the requirements of your network but if I were starting
with a clean sheet of paper and we wanted to use RFC1918 addresses, I'd
probably consider using the 172.x.x.x space.  Each region could be a
separate /16.  If we define the core as the including all of the hub routers
as well as the networks connecting them to the various distribution routers
and make that the network 172.16.0.0/16 (obviously, there are multiple
subnets needed, but they'd all be summarizable in this "major" net).  Then
assign a /16 to each region - so RegionA would be 172.17.0.0/16, RegionB
would be 172.18.0.0/16, etc.

Assuming that you have a data center or two, the server farms in these
locations would also connect to the hub routers (ideally behind their own
distribution-layer routers which summarize the address space for the server
farms into the core).

Generally speaking, a design like this will scale into the thousands of
sites - obviously YMMV depending on your requirements.

The key rule to follow here is that the core of the network is optimized to
route packets.  This is not the place to enforce network policy (ACLs, QOS,
manual summarization, etc.).

We all love the network 10.0.0.0/8; it gives us great freedom and allows
networks to be built without concern for addressing efficiency.  There are
some downsides to this though and you've found one.  You've been dealt a
slightly worse hand though because you sandwich 172.x.x.x networks between
10.x.x.x.  I'm going to go out on a limb (kidding) and suggest that your
EIGRP configurations have "no auto-summary" configured, right?  In the
configuration above, you could allow EIGRP to auto-summarize - you'd
actually prefer it because it would mean that you didn't need to manually
summarize at all.

There are some things you can do to probably make your existing hardware
investment work with the current number of sites but it will require that
you re-address your network to follow something similar to the design I
outlined above just without the separate distribution routers.  If you're
growing like mad you'll want to ensure that you can get funding for the
distribution layer because at some point (if not already) you'll have too
many neighbors on each core router which will spark a whole new set of
problems.

Quickly, on the remote routers, I don't care how big or small the network
is, in a (highly) redundant network I try to make sure that each router only
advertises networks it's responsible for (e.g. directly connected or
down-stream subnets).  With EIGRP one of the easiest ways to do this is with
the distribute-list command.  I try to select a standard ACL number (for
example # 5) across the enterprise and then on each router permit only the
networks we want - in this case, the remote routers would advertise their
directly-connected Ethernet network(s) and maybe a loopback.  This will keep
EIGRP from thinking that the remote router is a possible transit path to all
other networks (especially a problem if you use sub-interfaces on the remote
side).

Well, I could go on and on but I've got to get back to studying.  These are
just some suggestions that have worked for me in the past, I'd be interested
in what others on the list have experienced.

Hope this helps,

Ben