From: Chuck Larrieu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 05:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How would you design a Network ? [7:32067]

why do you think you need to change? seriously? what would dynamic routing

give you that you don't have now - in terms of stability and the like?

it might seem an odd thing to say, but I believe that dynamic routing in

small environments, and maybe even in some larger environments,  is over

rated, no matter whose routers or what routing protocols you use.

BTW, I am personally acquainted with a portion of the network of a very

large technology company that consists entirely of static routes. Over 3000

of them. They had a particular good reason for doing it this way. But my

point is that there are considerations other than "because you can" or

"because you want to"

Chuck

""Bullock, Jason""  wrote in message

> Listers.

> I would like to make some routing changes to a mostly static routing

> environment.  Currently everything is either routed via default gateway,

or

> static route statements.

> the environment consists of about 30 remote point to point WAN sites, with

> most data traffic consisting of IP.  We have several sites on dual T1's,

and

> all sites are terminating at a central corporate location.  So a big star

> network.   The vendor of choice is cisco for routing and switching.

> Anyone see OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, IGRP, ISIS as the way to go?   I would like

> make this network more dynamic, just having a hard time justifying the

move.