call up your PBX vendor and ask.

or take a close look at the cards in the PBX - they might be labeled. (
which would be how the Cisco guy made the determination )

There is no reason that most PBX's would not support E1 - the vendors want
to sell in Europe too. Some of the low end stuff and key systems might not
support E1 in particular lines or models.

HTH