I would have thought by definition, if they're not sending or receiving
traffic, then  no, but am open to correction.
What sort of override do you mean. Do you mean something as simple as
setting outlook express to poll for new mail every 4 minutes, or a script to
ping every 4 minutes, or something more permanent?

Gaz