I encountered a new problem at work today.

A customer with a 1750 DSL router can't get to the internet. Get onsite, and
the router is at the initial config yes/no prompt. So I'm thinking no one wr
mem'd 8 months or so before. Do a show start and nothing there. A show
version shows a reboot by Seq V.

I start calling around, talking to the customer, etc getting IP addresses,
username, password, etc to reconfigure. No one has the old config, customer
clueless, usual story.

I get everything almost fixed, username and password is still unknown, ISP's
tech support PC's are down. Co-worker has a ton of combinations to try, so
I'm going through trying different stuff, and I get a Seg V and the router
resets.

I'm thinking, $@$*%# I didn't write mem before this! Router comes back up,
and the original config is there, DSL makes a connection and the customer is
working. Has anyone ever seen a router see the NVRAM as being empty,
reloading and then seeing a config.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot?
--
Scott Meyer