>From the CCNA curriculum glossary:

"DCE

     Data communications equipment (EIA expansion) or data
     circuit-terminating equipment (ITU-T expansion). The devices and
     connections of a communications network that comprise the
     network end of the user-to-network interface. The DCE provides a
     physical connection to the network, forwards traffic, and provides
     a clocking signal used to synchronize data transmission
     between DCE and DTE devices. Modems and interface cards are
     examples of DCE. Compare with DTE."

HTH,
Prof. Tom Lisa, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada