The only time I've heard of this attack being successful was when Winblows
was unpatched. I know with linux syslogd will start spitting off some
errors and if you have some counter measures in place, you can just have
after X period, iptables (ipchains, ipfwadm, whatever) block the host off.

Although, your way does take less time on the box admins part :)

-Jeff