I disagree a bit with Brad.. :)

I would suggest TWO switches..

1900 and a 2900

They use different interfaces and you need to know both. If you get the 8
port versions, you can save a few bucks but the prices have been falling in
the last few months.

On the 1900, make sure it's a newer one.. uses a RJ45 for the console port,
not a DB9.

On the 2900, make sure it has 8  meg of memory so you can upgrade it to the
newer 12.x enterprise code for vlans. Some early ones come only with 4 meg
which is not optimal since you can not install the 12.x enterprise code on it.

I have a tutorial on my site that you might be interested in for the 2900..
the 1900 tutorial is not completed yet.

www.packetattack.com/tutorials.html

Of course, a viable option is to rent lab time over the net.

MikeS